Providing Researchers Access to Data Resources
The Data Exchange Core provides a prioritized, resource-effective process for Sanford Health researchers and external collaborators to access healthcare data for their research needs. The mission of the Core is to effectively analyze health care data to improve health services delivery and patient outcomes. The use of electronic health records (EHR) data empowers researchers to engage in translational, sustainable, and transdisciplinary research that can influence patient health outcomes. The Core supports activities preparatory to research, research studies, and quality improvement projects that have an EHR focus. The team assists Sanford researchers and external collaborators with data access while providing guidance on legal, regulatory, and privacy regulations for de-identified and protected health information (PHI). The Center for Health Outcomes and Population Research CoBRE directly supports the Data Exchange Core.
The Data Exchange provides the following services including:
- Electronic health record focused data pulls for aggregate, de-identified, and limited data sets
- Development/pre-review of Electronic Health Records (EHR) focused IRB submissions to ensure compliance
- Collaboration agreements between Sanford researchers and external collaborators
- Management of submissions for privacy board and committee approval(s) as needed
- Training in the use of on-demand tools (i.e. EPIC’s Slicer Dicer tool)
- Honest Broker to access EHR data and provide de-identified or limited data sets that may include linkage codes
Meet the Team
Arielle Selya, PhD
Dr. Selya is a National Institutes of Health-funded investigator whose research interests focus on a variety of population health topics, including the etiology of substance use and dependence, risk prediction and management of chronic health conditions and health care services delivery. Dr. Selya brings strong expertise in analyzing large datasets using a variety of advanced quantitative methods.
Senior Research SpecialistJaymi Russo manages the Data Exchange Core daily operations. She assists internal researchers and external collaborators with access to the centralized health care data warehouse, as well as providing training in the use of on-demand data tools to access aggregate and detailed EMR data.