PROMISE Scholars Summer Internship
Are you a high school junior looking for a unique summer experience? Do you have a passion for science? Are you thinking about pursuing a college degree in science?
Sanford PROMISE (Program for the Midwest Initiative in Science Exploration) Scholars is a unique 10-week research internship. Highly motivated high school students with an aptitude for biomedical sciences get an immersion experience in laboratory research at Sanford. Work alongside scientists as part of the research team, connect with peers through a scientific journal club, and present your work as a scientific poster at the Sanford Research Symposium.
PROMISE Scholars earn three undergraduate elective credits at the University of South Dakota (BIOC192) and a $2,500 scholarship.
- Strong interest in a career in biomedical research
- Entering senior year in the fall of the upcoming academic year (home-schooled students are eligible)
- Must be at least 16 years old by June 1
- Committed to participating in the entire 10-week summer program (minimum of 35 hours/week)
- Candidates are highly encouraged to participate in other Sanford PROMISE programming for an introduction to the research environment. Opportunities include the Research Shadowing Program, the Biomedical Research Investigations, and the Community Lecture Series.
- Learn more about our various research groups. Please note, not all labs are able to accept PROMISE Scholars each year.
Applications available: Nov. 1
Application deadline: Jan. 15
Applicants will be notified of their status in March.
Sanford Health News
Collaboration will help guide best practices for patient testing
Movement could help people overcome social barriers to health