Inspire the Next Generation of Scientists
Bring your students to our science exploration classes and tours.
Join us in the Sanford PROMISE Community Lab for tailored, hands-on experiences in the heart Sanford’s working research facility.
Students, teachers, and community groups are invited to learn about our research and what it takes to be a scientist.
High School Research Scholars Program
Are you a high school junior looking for a summer experience? Do you have a passion for science? Are you thinking about pursuing a college degree in science?
This unique 10-week research internship offers a total-immersion experience in real-time laboratory research at Sanford for motivated high school students with an aptitude for biomedical sciences. Work alongside scientists as part of the research team, connect with peers through in-house scientific interest groups, and present your work as a scientific poster at the Sanford Research Symposium. PROMISE Scholars earn 3 undergraduate elective-credits at the University of South Dakota (BIOC192) and are awarded a $2,500 scholarship.
- Strong interest in a scientific career
- Entering senior year in the fall of the upcoming academic year (home-schooled students are eligible)
- Must be at least 16 years old by June 1
- Committed to participating in the entire 10-week summer program (minimum of 35 hours/week)
- Candidates are encouraged to participate in other Sanford PROMISE programming for an introduction to the research environment. Opportunities include: Research Shadowing Program, Biomedical Research Investigations, Teen Science Café and Community Lecture Series.
Applications available: November 1
Application deadline: January 31
Applicants will be notified of their status in March.
Sanford PROMISE aims to increase community understanding of health sciences, raise awareness of the benefits of research and emphasize the role of each in our society. Our programs offer numerous opportunities for all students and teachers to connect with experts, experience hands-on learning and conduct authentic research.
Sanford Health News
Dr. Indra Chandrasekar’s team at Sanford Research uncovers new link to disease
NFL Alumni Health will be a resource for regenerative health and wellness