Inspire the Next Generation of Scientists
Bring your students to our science exploration classes and tours.
Join us in the Sanford PROMISE Community Lab for tailored, hands-on experiences in the heart Sanford’s working research facility.
Students, teachers, and community groups are invited to learn about our research and what it takes to be a scientist.
Homeschool Science Experiences
Engage with biomedical science and fellow homeschool students during an interactive visit to the Sanford PROMISE Community Lab.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in a meet-and-greet session with a scientist, tour state-of-the-art research laboratories and conduct a hands-on biomedical science activity.
2018-2019 experiences include:
- Science to Make You Sweat
- Stem Cells: An Unlikely Journey
- Power Up Brain Science
- The Eyes Have It
Biomedical Research Investigations
Curious about what it’s like to be a laboratory scientist? The Biomedical Research Investigations Program offers middle and high school students an opportunity to engage with authentic scientific questions by performing a series of connected hands-on laboratory activities.
Participants must meet the minimum age by June 1 and do not need to have a Washington Pavilion membership. Participants must be committed to participating for the entire workshop. Confirmation of acceptance and additional information regarding arrival and other details will be provided one month ahead of the scheduled workshop.
A $30 activity fee includes a Sanford PROMISE t-shirt and is due at the first session (checks payable to Sanford Research). Cancellations that do not occur one week in advance of the start of the workshop will be billed the $30 activity fee. Limited scholarships are available to students in need of financial assistance. Contact Tamara Ledeboer by email or call (605) 312-6590 for more information.
2019 Summer Biomedical Research Investigations Workshops:
- Chemistry Camp for Kids
- 2019 Summer Biomedical Research Investigations Flyer
- 2019 Summer Biomedical Research Investigations Application
- PROMISE Release and Participation Agreement
Student Lab Tours
In the heart of Sanford Research’s laboratory lives a high-tech classroom space designed to accommodate up to 24 learners participating in a hands-on science experience.
Our team of educators will personalize an experience to meet the content and ability requirements for your group.
Public and private school classes, after-school programs, girl and boy scout clubs and others are invited.
Are you a high school junior looking for a unique summer experience? Do you have a passion for science? Are you thinking about pursuing a college degree in science?This unique 10-week research internship offers highly motivated high school students with an aptitude for biomedical sciences, an immersion experience in laboratory research at Sanford. Work alongside scientists as part of the research team, connect with peers through a scientific journal club, and present your work as a scientific poster at the Sanford Research Symposium.
PROMISE Scholars earn three undergraduate elective credits at the University of South Dakota (BIOC192) and a $2,500 scholarship.
- Strong interest in a career in biomedical research
- Entering senior year in the fall of the upcoming academic year (home-schooled students are eligible)
- Must be at least 16 years old by June 1
- Committed to participating in the entire 10-week summer program (minimum of 35 hours/week)
- Candidates are highly encouraged to participate in other Sanford PROMISE programming for an introduction to the research environment. Opportunities include the Research Shadowing Program, the Biomedical Research Investigations, and the Community Lecture Series.
- Learn more about our various research groups. Please note, not all labs are able to accept PROMISE Scholars each year.
Applications available: Nov. 1
Application deadline: Jan. 15
Applicants will be notified of their status in March.